We spent the next leg of our journey in Antigua. Although Antigua is located in the middle of Guatemala, the cobble stone streets and architecture gave it a very European feel (okay, so I have never actually been to Europe, but that’s what we imagined). We were there for the Easter weekend, which is the busiest time of the year and the biggest celebration in all of Central America. The streets were flooded with people and there were countless processions throughout the town. Hundreds would dress in ropes to proceed through the streets and carrying heavy ‘floats’ on their shoulders. As part of the celebrations, ‘carpets’ were made to line the streets. These colourful works of art were made from coloured sawdust and flowers and were quite the sight (although their later destiny was to be walked over by the processions). The most spectacular of the processions was held during the night in the central park just outside the main church. Thousands gathered to take in the occasion. A shame the pictures just don’t do it justice.
And although I am not a religious person, I was mesmerized by the events. A special thanks to Trisha for being my Catholic translator!
And although I am not a religious person, I was mesmerized by the events. A special thanks to Trisha for being my Catholic translator!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home