Katie's Blog

Monday, January 29, 2007





Start of week 3 in PG: This week has been much better in the teaching department (I hope I haven’t jinxed myself). The classroom management has definitely improved and I have been able to use a sense of humor with my students. I am still being more of a lion that I m used to, but an improvement from last week so I will take it. I knew that I had started to solidify my role when I walked into the classroom after break when they were being a little noisy and without having to do or say anything they all stood up and went into prayer. This was something that they didn’t even have to do after this break! It is still challenging in that I have had several assignments that range in marks from 0 to 100%. The routines are getting there slowly but surely, although I still have a ways to go. I played snakes and ladders with an equivalent fractions twist with my students and they seemed to really enjoy it. One slightly chaotic moment was when one of my students noticed a huge spider on the roof of our classroom. The biggest spider I have ever seen! It was hard not to freak out and I told my kids that if he was still there that afternoon we could name him and be our class pet. Outside of teaching life, one of the teachers at the school brought us to the gym in town that he manages. If there was one thing we were missing it was being able to work out here, so we couldn’t have been more excited when he took us there. It will only cost us a whooping $15 US a month. Well worth it. The list of weird foods eaten so far is growing quickly and I can now add iguana and iguana eggs to it. A little boney, but very tender. One day the iguanas were running around our building, the next it was dinner. We splurged today and bought ourselves new bikes. They are the old school cruiser kind with only one gear and you pedal backwards to use the breaks. We look like a scene from the movie ‘Now and Then’ when we are cruising the streets like little kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Katie,

Nice to hear some of your teaching experiences along with the vacation experiences.

Brad

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home