Katie’s 9 Random Thoughts:
1. The children here are especially curious of our digital cameras and several have screamed with excitement when they see themselves on the display screen after taking a picture of them.
2. On most days we can look out our window across the ocean and see the shores of Guatemala. We hope to make the hour boat ride on one of our weekends off.
3.The children here ask us for everything that they see you with. I have even had one of my students ask me for a pair of my capris when I leave.
4. Although the stars here at night are much brighter than we are used to, it has been the planets here at night that have really caught our attention. They appear almost as though they are blinking blue and red. The first night I saw them I would have bet the farm that they were planes, but those planes have gone nowhere confirming that they are in fact planets.
5. There are 2 main cultures that make up the area of Belize that we are in: Mayan and Garifuna. The Mayans are the lighter skinned of the two and are known as the Indians to Belize. The Garifuna are known for their unique dancing and music.
6. The locals are quite ‘friendly’ and at times a little too forward for our comfort level. We expected to get looks and stared at, but I don’t think we could have prepared ourselves for the crowd that we draw at times. An example would be when we went to fish market and paid a local to fillet the fish for us. He was giving us suggestions on how to cook it and the next thing we knew was that he was insisting to come home with us and cook it up. Can be hard at times as we want to experience the local flavour, experiences, and hidden secrets, but at the same time we have to keep our guard up being 3 foreign girls.
7. I was asked if I was missing home and I can report that I have yet to feel homesick. I can’t think of anything that I am really missing or craving, but it really makes you appreciate some of things we take for granted at home. I’m thankful I’m here with T-Bum and Melissio and finding a place that serves fantastic ice cream and slushy fruit drinks was a bonus!
8. The district (similar to our provinces) that we live in is called ‘Toledo’ and it seems as though this area is quite religious. Melissio finds this to bring new light to the saying ‘Holy Toledo’.
9. I can now add armadillo to the list of weird foods eaten in Belize.

1 Comments:
Katie,
Seems like you're really enjoying and taking in the experiences of your trip. Fascinating info about culture and life in Belize. I was really struck by the planets you talked about.
Brad
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home