
Week 1 in PG: It was a big relief for me to meet my mentor teacher! She has been very welcoming of me and has a great sense of humor which is a great match for me. My students will be a handful I am sure, all 38 of them! There are 24 boys and 14 girls in my class ranging in ages 9 to 13. Quite the range of abilities as you can imagine. To quote my teacher, ‘they are a lively bunch’. I spent the first week mainly observing and helping out in the classroom to get adjusted to their school system. The students call all of the female teachers ‘Miss’ and I cannot even begin to count how many times I hear it in a day! ‘Miss’ is put before and after everything they ask and they ask a great deal of questions. An example would be: ‘Miss. Can I sharpen my pencil? Miss’. My classroom is a stone throw away from the ocean which I love! (one of the above pictures is taken standing in the doorway) Even when my students are misbehaving, I can just look out the door and watch the ocean. Trisha and Melissa have been doing their best to teach me the ropes of being a Catholic, as the school we are teaching at is a Catholic school. I am not sure what I would have done without them giving me ques on what to do and when to do it. Gramma you can be proud as I now have 'Our Father' down, and 'Hail Mary' is next to learn. I try to fake like I know what I am doing, but I am pretty sure my kids are on to me. I am also getting used to wearing skirts to teach in although it took me a few tries to sit down without my students 'seeing christmas early' as my teacher oh so politely put it. There is only one student in my class who doesn't speak English, and my students don't seem to take advantage of the fact that I don't speak Creol. It was a bit of a challenge to learn their names as they are all pronounced so differently than we would typically say them in Canada. They seem to think it is quite funny though. We have definitely been giving the restaurant on our rooftop lots of business. We thought it would be fun to keep track how often we are there, but I think it’s best we not know. PG is definitely not as tourist based as our earlier destinations, but the locals have been quite friendly (and curious) to us and we keep discovering and learning more everyday. It rained at least once everyday this week, but we don’t really mind as it comes and goes fairly quickly and cools things off. I think that it has been hot out, but my teacher laughs at me and says this is cold for them! Oh gosh, I think I am going to melt away in the heat when it actually gets to be their warmer season. Our apartment has worked out great and is only a 2 minute walk from the school. It is nicer than we expected and right over the ocean!! An amazing view to say the least. We are making out quite well in it considering it’s 3 of us in a 1 bedroom. There is no hot water, so every shower is a refreshing one!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home