Katie's Blog

Tuesday, March 06, 2007






The Enemy God
We were up bright an early on Saturday (I don’t think we have yet to sleep in here) to meet up with the film crew currently making a movie here called The Enemy God. The film is set in a jungle village (built set) and the cast is made up almost entirely of local actors. We had originally met the crew on a day trip to an island and they came to find us earlier this week to invite us to come check out the set and give make-up some extra hands as they are understaffed for the task at hand. Trisha and Melissa were right in their element as they are both drama majors, and I must admit I was a little worried as to how much help I would actually be. It didn’t take long for T-Bum and Mel Jam to be putting on wigs and doing body paint. I soon took on the role of making the actors look dirty, some may refer to it as the process of 'dirtification'. That’s right, they had me putting on fake dirt, making it look as real as possible. Not as simple of a task as one might think (or at least I like to think I had an important job, haha). There were at least four different shades of dirt, and I had to do my best at making it look real for the camera. Although the actors are darker skinned, some still had differing skin tones where their clothes would usually cover them, so I did my best to make it look one uniform colour. I had to get close to the actors in a hurry as they are all in traditional tribal attire (which my friends isn’t much). I think I was so covered in ‘dirt’ by the end that I would have fit right in with the actors. We were impressed with some of the tricks used to give the illusion of facial piercings, mainly hidden magnets. Although it was good to experience, it is definitely not as glamorous as people think and there was some obvious drama between those making the film.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Katie, the dirtification process looks extremely difficult, looks like they picked the right woman for the job! I wasn't sure if I saw this correctly or not but in addition to the wigs, and ear pieces did you see any gold teeth lying around the set? For some reason I heard one of the actors say that they were used in the mating ceremonies in the film.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Hi Katie,

Interesting how you and the other girls got the chance to check out the inner workings of a movie set. Good for you girls for being solid in your positions as teachers.

Brad

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home