
Trisha tells me that today is day 53 in Belize. Wow, hard to believe! It was a ‘cold’ morning here in Belize and you should have seen how bundled up the students and staff were. I am not sure what the actual temperature was, but I was fine in my skirt and t-shirt. They were joking that it was Canadian weather (Oh, if they only knew how cold it gets!). It never stays cool here for long, and by lunch we were baking in the sun while we ate lunch on our rooftop restaurant. As you can see by the photo, we change out of the teaching uniform and into shorts and tank tops every chance we get. It was the school Spelling Bee today and we were the judges (even Melissa’s friend who is visiting got recruited to be the time keeper). The students were quite into it and I must admit I was impressed with their spelling abilities. One of the boys in my class did quite well, but was unfortunately not the winner. There were 300 words on the list of possible words and I couldn’t help but laugh when ‘tequila’ was one of them! (you know you are teaching in the Caribbean when…). Another word that hit home was ‘Ontario’ and it took me by surprise when it was called. Another reminder of home today was seeing one boy at the morning assembly wearing a Montreal Canadians jersey. I was hoping to ask him where he got the jersey, but didn’t the chance. We are trying not to eat out as much and getting better at our cooking abilities. We definitely cook better meals here than we even did at home. Trisha has perfected banana bread and cooking popcorn on the stovetop. I think I would make Mildee proud with my dinner that I whipped up last night.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home